Monday, June 4, 2012

Ian Krekelberg


So this is a Story about CJ, honest.  I was getting married in July of ‘07 in England, Leeds.  My mom and step father had flown from the US for the occasion several days before.  They went to visit a number of historical UK sites.  The City of York, which is renowned for the historical wall that surrounds the old city and the beautiful York Minster Cathedral, is a fantastic site to see especially during the unusually warm summer we had in England that year.  Tourists can walk along the top of the wall around the city, and my mother told me she stopped a young man to take her and her husband’s picture.  He agreed.  Afterwards, hearing the young man was American my mom asked where he was from.  He said Utah, and my mom said ‘what a coincidence, we live in Lehi!  He went on to explain that had come back to England to visit the land of his mission.  Excitedly, my mom explained they were LDS and asked which mission had he served in. “Leeds, England” he said.  She said incredibly her son (me) had served in the England Leeds mission around the same time.  “What was his name” asked the young man, “Ian Krekelberg” she said.  Laughing out loud he said “My name is Christian Rhineer and we were companions!” She explained I was getting married that weekend and he should come.  She called me and put him on the phone!  We had often seen each other over the years but it had been a few years since I last saw him in the US and he just so happened to be touring Europe at that time.  He stopped by and celebrated the day with us on his travels.  It was an incredible chance that of all the people on the wall in York that summer day, my mom stopped CJ.  He took the time out of his travels to make our day a little more special.


We had served together in Sheffield and I was his second companion.  He was prepared like I had never seen and he lived and loved his mission.  I remember he and I sang a lot, made up songs about how much we loved Sheffield.  He and I developed a ‘Russian’ accent thing.  We would call each other Comrade, and ever after that, even after the mission when I saw him over the years, we would speak to each other and assume our Russian personas.


When I first arrived in Sheffield to work with CJ, he had been teaching a few ‘interesting’ characters.  One in particular was Gary Merrill, a simple large gentleman (bout 350lbs).  He had some learning difficulties and so to combat this CJ and his previous companion had started Gary off with the Book of Mormon reader (the kid’s comic style version).  He told me that they had shown him several pictures of Nephi, Moroni, Mormon and Joseph Smith.  They had reviewed each one explaining who they were and the significance to the Book of Mormon.

  Upon a return visit to test Gary they started with reviewing the pictures. “Gary who is this?” CJ asked as he held up the Nephi picture.  Focusing intently Gary stated “That’s Nephi!” excitedly CJ and his companion moved on to the next picture “And Gary do you remember who this is?” CJ’s company questioned. Gary proclaimed with confidence “Moroni, the guy who buried that golden bible.”  Finally holding up a picture of Joseph Smith CJ asked “And do you remember this man’s name?” Gary paused, furrowed his eyebrows staring at the picture. Seconds ticked by and the as he scratched his head he questionably asked: “Ricardo?” CJ his companion and he did not stop laughing for like 20 minutes, Gary laughed along to not even knowing what was funny.

When we were teaching him he prayed to know if the Book of Mormon was true. He said, “Lord I ask you to know if the Book of Mormon is true; and the answer is….YES!” CJ’s infectious laugh had us laughing for ages after that. If it wasn’t for all the cigars and tea he drank he would have made a fine member.  We found a lot of strange people to teach.  The people that society forgot.  We found three, less than dapper gentlemen. We got together one night for a family home evening and instead of the classy Rat pack, CJ dubbed them the Whack pack.  It was a disaster.  One of the most incoherent experiences of our mission.  We would always wonder how the ‘Whack Pack’ could have changed the World.  Gary was the leader.
For a P-Day CJ convinced the whole district to watch Star wars IV, V, VI in a running marathon.  After that he and I perfected a vocal duet encapsulating the Empire march (Darth Vader’s theme tune) and a lot of our references spun back to Star wars seeing if we could quote star wars in teaching situations or church lessons.

He and I went to a Messianic Judasim Church one evening, basically Jews that believed in Christ.  They had a guest speaker and were very (Born again style, happy clappy) spiritual.  They sang and danced.  And we all had to speak in tongues.  They kinda just rambled making strange sounds and I remember CJ just singing “hey batter batter swing!” To make me laugh, but it seemed to be an acceptable form of ‘speaking in tongues’ because no one commented.  Then the best part was they danced.  They pushed all the chairs away and danced.  CJ was a bit reluctant but I convinced him to join in the circle and we had a great time. I remember him saying afterwards “Jews for Jesus, right on!”

He was a prankster; we had the old style film capsules.  And the game was (this is kind of crude) to fart into the canister and seal it up.  Then when your companion was studying you would come up behind him and open it in his face.  He hid one for two weeks and nearly killed me with the awful smell when he opened it up right in my face.  It was horrendous but hilarious.
We baptized a kid named Aaron Grant and he formed a special Bond with CJ.  We taught a lot according to my journal.  We often found ourselves in people’s homes, on the street I think we just worked so well together and CJ’s natural charisma had people giving us time to speak.

Elder Winters, one of the Zone Leaders ‘Borrowed’ Elder Rhineer to play a round of golf with one of their longer term investigators.  I think the deal was if Elder Rhineer won the Guy would have to come to church!  I am certain that guy went to church that Sunday.  I am glad to report CJ used his powers for good.

CJ was just one of those people who made a difference in everything that he did.  Selfless and focused on making those around him feel loved and involved.  He was one of my best friends and a great man.  I look forward to seeing him again.  I hope I live up to the expectation.  It was wonderful to hear my memories of his character reflect in those who I spoke with and those that spoke at his Funeral. 


No comments:

Post a Comment