Saturday, June 2, 2012

Johannes "Elder Wolfert"

Hi Keri,

you don't know me, but I know your husband. I served in the England Leeds Mission from Aug 2002 - Aug 2004.

When I received your message via Facebook,  I didn't realize, what had happened. I was literally shocked, when I found out yesterday. Tears welled up several times when I read through the accounts and thought about you and your beloved husband. I grief with you and hope to lighten your burden just a little by sharing my memories with "Elder Rhineer".

Since we are moving places in a few weeks time, all my journals are in boxes somewhere and not readily at hand. So I've got to think of my experiences with Christian without written documentation.

In my mind the first time I heard of him, was when he was called to be an AP (Assistant to President). Soon I learned that he hadn't been long in the field and that he was very good at playing golf. If I remember correctly he had been a District and Zone Leader before that call came. "He must be special" came to my mind, since he had been called to these positions much earlier than it used to be. And surely special he was. To this day, this thought has never left me. To me as a missionary engaged in a spiritiual work, he became a spiritual hero, I wanted to emulate. His personality and example of being a true disciple left a lasting impression on me.

Unfortunately I never got "to serve around" Elder Rhineer. I met and was taught by him at ZoneConferences, District and Zone Leader Councils and a few other ocassions. Furthermore as an Assistant he did exchanges with all the missionaries. I too had the privilege to knock on a few doors with him. I remember him being kind, knowledgeable, earnest about doing the Lords work, a very good teacher, a spiritual and dedicated missionary, funny and loving. As I follow the presidential elections there is always so much talk about leadership and who could be the best leader. For me Elder Rhineer was that true leader whom I gladly followed and admired. At one ZoneConference I had the feeling that as missionaries we should focus on a specific topic. When I went to Elder Rhineers work-shop he stressed that topic and basically said what I already had been feeling beforehand. At that day I realized
  • that those that hold callings within the church, are called of god
  • that the Holy Ghost whispers to those that are prepared to listen
  • the Holy Ghost speaks to leader and follower alike if we are but prepared to listen
A very trivial thing I remember is related to do me being german. When we were on exchanges he let me get some sausages "Bratwürstchen" at a german supermarket. We had them for lunch.
Funnily he cut them in half before he cooked them. They looked like butterflies. They didnt look but tasted the way they should. :-))

Sincerely,
Johannes "Elder Wolfert"



No comments:

Post a Comment